Dear Brothers and Sisters,
I hope this message finds you and your family well. As the nation continues to distribute vaccines it is with great optimism we view the year ahead. While it will take time to turn the tide in this pandemic, we should narrow our focus today and re-engage with the Brotherhood. By setting chapter agendas and plans now, we will be prepared for when we can gather together safely once again.
As we begin to prepare for the year ahead, I wanted to share the following information and updates with you: Chapter Presidents Zoom Event Follow Up
Earlier this month, I had the pleasure of meeting virtually with the chapter presidents of the Pan-Icarian Brotherhood. This event was designed to establish a dialogue with chapter representatives and share ideas on how we can help members stay connected. While we anticipate similar meetings to be held in the near future, the Supreme Lodge has challenged each chapter to host a virtual event with their chapter members within the next month.
Thank you to all the chapter presidents and officers who attended, and I look forward to hearing updates on your virtual events in the coming weeks.
Art and Culture Focus
As I mentioned in my last message to you, the Brotherhood has established a culture and arts committee which will work to bring together the many talents that live within our membership base. As a first initiative, a “Call for Artists” has been made which will celebrate the many artists we have within our organization and help us learn more about their accomplishments and inspiration. You can learn more about this initiative through our website and social media platforms, or by contacting me or lodge members directly. 2021 Membership Drive
This year’s 2021 Membership drive will run through the month of June 2021. With last year’s membership numbers greatly impacted by the pandemic, in 2021, we hope to boost membership and reestablish our strong membership base. We ask that all members participate in this drive by paying their memberships dues as soon as possible.
Remember, you can pay memberships through our website (https://pan-icarian.commembership/), by mailing a check to Supreme Treasurer Evangelos Fragos (8101 Yellow Daisy Drive, Wilmington, NC 28412), or by paying your chapter officers directly. Thank you to District Governor Chrissa Lefes for initiating this drive and for her hard work! Supreme Lodge Meetings & Chapter Events
The Supreme Lodge is anxiously awaiting the opportunity to begin meeting directly with each other and chapters. While many restrictions on social gatherings and travel still exist, a sense of optimism and change is arising in many areas of the country. My hope is that the covid numbers continue to drop and we begin to rapidly emerge from isolation. As chapters begin to set plans to meet, even tentative ones, I ask that you inform your district governors and lodge members of them. We will always do our best to attend meetings and events safely as they are scheduled.
Thank you for your strong support and dedication to the Pan-Icarian Brotherhood of America “Icaros”!
Damianos T. Skaros
Pan-Icarian Brotherhood of America “Icaros”
Chapter Pandiki Raffle
We understand that these are difficult times for everyone and participation might not be possible for many families at this time, but we truly appreciate your support!
Chapter Pandiki Board of Directors
Pan-Icarian Fundraiser For Drug Addiction And Mental Health Awareness
The drug and opioid epidemic has been an issue in this country for many years and has progressively worsened over last 20 years. The recent COVID-19 pandemic has only exacerbated the issue with staggering statistics trending upward at even greater rates:
- An estimated 130 Americans die every day from an opioid overdose
- Drug overdose deaths in the USA have more than tripled since 1990
- From 1999 to 2018, more than 800,000 Americans died from overdosing on a drug
- An estimated 775,000 Americans regularly use methamphetamines and approximately 16,000 of them are between the ages of 12 and 17
- Almost 21 million Americans have at least one addiction, yet only 10% of them receive treatment
While this is a difficult subject to discuss, it is clear that substance abuse and addiction impacts all communities and demographics. As an organization we must do our part to support our fellow brothers and sisters and assist in the fight against abuse and addiction.
The Supreme Lodge is proposing a fundraiser to support research, treatment and awareness on substance addiction; and has set a fundraising goal of $5,000 to be reached by May 2021. If each chapter donates only $200 towards this cause, we will easily surpass our goal!
We ask that members participate in this effort by either choosing to donate to a local community organization or research facility which assists in helping those who suffer from addiction; or sending their raised funds directly the Supreme Lodge – who will then donate as an organization to the American Society of Addiction Medicine. If chapters choose to donate to a local organization, we simply ask that you inform the Brotherhood, so we can accurately report on the cumulative efforts of our members.
Donations can be made through PayPal on our website (https://pan-icarian.comproduct/donate/) or mailing a check directly to Supreme Treasurer Evangelos Fragos (8101 Yellow Daisy Dr., Wilmington, NC 28412). In the memo of the check and PayPal order please include “Drug Addiction Fundraiser”.
Thank you for your support and your consideration of this worthy effort.
The Supreme Lodge
Culture & Arts Program CALL FOR ARTISTS
- Are you an Artist?
- Do you have an Ikarian friend or family member that is interested in the arts??
- Has your Ikarian family collected artistic artifacts throughout the years that you’d like to showcase???
The Pan-Icarian Brotherhood of America “Icaros” is issuing a call for artists to submit artistic work. There is no specific theme for this call for art. We are simply interested in showcasing the creative talents of the Ikarian diaspora. All artistic mediums are welcomed and encouraged!
- To compile a list of members who are interested in this initiative.
- Connect our artists in order to celebrate their talents and the inspiration behind their works.
- Organize events and exhibitions to showcase artistic work.
- Member of the Pan-Icarian Brotherhood of America “Icaros”
- Artists are welcome to submit works of any medium (paintings, drawings, sculptures, poetry, graphic design, photography, music, mixed media, etc.) or descriptions of their art or artistic accomplishments.
HOW TO Participate:
- Please send any inquires or submissions to Despina Costalas [email protected] and Damianos T. Skaros [email protected]
- Provide us with some information on your interest and works within the arts. Examples of work, brief artistic statement and/or link to websites or photographs are encouraged.
DEADLINE: Rolling, with more details to be distributed through e-mail.
The Supreme Lodge